Large panels of glass were handled by a pair of four-axle Liebherrs, installed as part of a project to refurbish the Frankfurt Exhibition Centre Tower. At 256.5 metres, it was the tallest building in Europe when completed in 1991.
BKL was working for facade specialist Seele. As part of the refurbishment of the lobby at ground level, Seele was responsible for the design, manufacture and installation of a 1,800 square metre steel and glass facade. In July the 90-tonne capacity crane started with the hoisting work for the first 17-metre long glass element. It weighed around 6 tonnes, making it one of the largest laminated curved panes of glass to be installed in a high-rise block. Between the glass and the crane was a vacuum system with 92 cups. The crane hoisted the combined load of 9 tonnes to a height of 20 metres before having to precisely place it.
In August BKL started using the larger LTM 1100-4.2 to install the next 6-tonne glass elements which had to be hoisted laterally and vertically 25 metres.